Thursday, July 13, 2023

Dorama World's official social media channels w.e.f. 14 Jul 2023

As mentioned previously, I was thinking of finding a replacement social media platform for Twitter given its "user-unfriendly" changes so far this year. In particular, the effects of the latest restriction on number of tweets to be viewed can be observed in more ways than one. There have been multiple occasions when I couldn't load any tweets and the tweets which show up on my timeline these days aren't the usual ones I am seeing (some from accounts or topics which I don't even follow). In terms of the views and engagement on Dorama World's account, I can see that the numbers don't go beyond a certain figure which is definitely not the norm. The logical conclusion is, whatever I'm posting don't get seen by my followers, no thanks to these restrictions and possibly, manipulations at the back end to control who sees what.

Much as I tried to look at other options over the past week or so, it has been difficult to find one which meets various conditions of which the most important to me are that it should ideally be web-based rather than app-based (easier to type on the computer's keyboard than the mobile phone) and allows the sharing of links, photos and videos (need to quote my sources when posting news translations). The platform should also have a certain number of users so that it's more convenient to "shift" rather than having to ask people to sign up for new accounts just to access it. I also wondered if I should move to a new platform just to duplicate what I was already doing on the Facebook page. If I wasn't going to, the new platform should allow me to produce a different type of content beyond what is on the blog and the Facebook page.

And when Threads came along, I deliberated on it for a few days and decided to take the plunge.

With effect from 14 Jul 2023, Dorama World will be on the following platforms:

* Blogger - this is the blog where you get to read previews and reviews of dramas and movies, news articles (longer ones) and analysis of topics in the J-ent world
* Facebook - J-ent news in point form and notifications for new posts on the blog.
* Threads (@doramaworld_chiaki) - short episodic reviews, interesting things or observations from dramas and movies and any other random stuff/ramblings

What this means for the Twitter account is:
- it will still exist because I need it to keep track of news and updates from the official accounts of various productions, artistes, TV stations and movie companies 
- the existing content will remain as it is until further notice
- there will no longer be any updates on this platform 

Much as I would like to have a single platform for everyone to get the news updates, it is realistically impossible to do so since we all have our preferences when it comes to the use of social media portals. As such, although I know that it may be inconvenient for those who are on Twitter exclusively to have to sign up for new accounts on other platforms, I seek your kind understanding in this regard.

Thank you for your support so far and please continue to support Dorama World going forward ~

No comments: