Friday, December 14, 2012

Preview of Winter 2013 offerings: Last Hope (FujiTV)

Title: Last Hope
Official blog: here
Main cast members: Aiba Masaki, Tabe Mikako, Tanabe Seiichi, Koike Eiko, Kitamura Yukiya, Sakuraba Nanami, Hirata Mitsuru, Takashima Masahiro, Kohinata Fumio
Details on storyline etc: here
Timeslot: Tuesdays, 9pm
Comments: I have a soft spot for Arashi and would be keen to check out the dramas they appear in although I may not watch it till the end. It also depends very much who is the member concerned and the genre of the drama. For example, no matter how much I like Sakurai Sho, I just couldn't get through the first episode of "Nazotoki wa Dinner no ato de" because I simply didn't like his co-star.

Aiba is the lead in this drama - check. Strong co-star support (other than Sakuraba Nanami who I am not familiar with, I like the rest of the cast) - check. Medical drama - check. There seems to be no reason for me to drop this, right? Well, Aiba's image is the happy-go-lucky guy who's a bit clumsy at times which can be a bit difficult to match that with a doctor's professional image. Then again, not all doctors are the serious and stern type and from the description of his role, he won't have to ditch that happy chap side for his character who seemingly has a more serious side hidden beneath the chirpiness. I wonder how he will pull it off though but if the story stays its course and doesn't bore me too much, I may stay with this longer than I expect.

Frankly speaking, his Mikeneko Holmes no Suiri earlier this year didn't impress me at all. I'm still stuck at Ep 5 and lacking in motivation to continue so I'm hoping Last Hope will live up to its name and give me something to look forward to. Maybe it won't be as hardcore and intense as those brand name medical dramas like Kyumei Byoto 24 Ji but at least, something credible and believable would be very much welcomed.

No comments: