Monday, January 01, 2007

Top 3 favourite dramas of 2006

On the first day of 2007, here's a recap of my favourite dramas from 2006. It's a mere coincidence that the top 3 happen to be from FujiTV but there are some dramas which are ranked outside the top 3 from other TV stations.

No.1: Unfair (FujiTV, Winter)
I've always had a soft spot for suspense thrillers but many times, I have been disappointed with the sloppy conclusion when the series is rounded up. For example, Koori no Sekai was good until the end when someone who seemed totally unrelated to the whole string of happenings turn out to be the murderer. That is why I've always been apprehensive about suspense thrillers especially those original creations. However, Unfair proved to be a gem because it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole season as the numerous twists within the plot will catch the viewer off guard just as you think you are getting closer to the truth. The SP which added Eguchi Yosuke to the cast was also captivating and I can't wait to watch the movie which will be showing in Japan from March 2007.

No.2: Iryuu - Team Medical Dragon (FujiTV, Spring)
Although there have been countless medical-themed dramas over the years, what distinguishes it from the rest is its dedication to exploring a particular medical procedure i.e. the Batista operation. This allows it to be focused on giving the viewer a closer look into the conditions which requires this form of surgery and fosters deeper understanding into the problem. Coupled with the fact that there's a strong cast which keeps the viewer engaged from start till end, it was thrilling to see sparks flying between the actors. This is one of the few dramas from last year which has given me great satisfaction after viewing each episode.


No.3: Nodame Cantabile (FujiTV, Autumn)
This was a surprise hit for me because I had been very apprehensive about how the numerous classical music scenes are to be performed and how Ueno Juri and Tamaki Hiroshi perform as Noda Megumi and Chiaki Shinichi respectively. Being a fan of the manga, I was almost certain that I would be disappointed by this series. I'm glad to say that FujiTV has proven me wrong as I've enjoyed every single episode of the drama and can't wait for the anime to start next week where it will continue with the Paris arc. Ueno was fantastic as Nodame while Tamaki...well, I'm not too keen on guys like him but he has definitely shown significant improvement as the season progressed. One of the most memorable moments was Chiaki hugging Nodame from behind in the final episode (which also happens to be one of my favourite scenes from the manga) and I must say these two look quite good together as a couple. Great chemistry between these guys and strong support from Eita as Mine, Mizusawa Asami as Miki Kiyora, Koide Keisuke as Okuyama Masaumi etc who bore such striking resemblances to the original characters that I must give credit to the casting director for being able to assemble such a lineup which is one of the success factors for this series. The orchestra scenes were also done very nicely especially the S-Orchestra's rendition of "Rhapsody In Blue" which was a joy to watch.

Other favourites from 2006:
14 Sai no Haha (NTV, Autumn) / My Boss My Hero (NTV, Summer) / Bengoshi no Kuzu (TBS, Spring) / Kami wa Saikoro wo Furanai (NTV, Winter) / Byakuyakou (TBS, Winter) / Jikou Keisatsu (TV Asahi, Winter)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which dramas did you liked in the last season beside 14-sai and nodame?

Chiaki said...

Well, I've also finished Kiraware Matsuko no Issho but can't say that I like it. I'm still in the midst of watching Kazoku and Boku no Aruku Michi so I'll reserve judgement on them later.